We’re making progress in Otumfuo’s Asamponhene’s murder — Ashanti Regional Police

The Ashanti Regional Police Command says it is making important progress with investigations into the suspected murder of the Otumfuo’s Asamponhene, Oheneba Kwadwo Afodour.

“Yes, I can tell you that we are making a headway in the case and by tomorrow afternoon you’ll hear good news.

We are getting some leads which are positive,” the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Ashanti Regional Police, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Godwin Ahianyo, told the Daily Graphic from his base in Kumasi yesterday evening.

He said police investigators had been to the crime scene and other important areas to gather critical information.

ASP Ahianyo confirmed that three persons had been arrested in connection with the brutal act and added that one of them was a chief.

He, however, would not disclose the names of the suspects, explaining that investigations were ongoing.


The body of the Asamponhene was found last Sunday evening in his Toyota Land Cruiser vehicle, which was abandoned near Abuom, a village on the Ejura- Nkoranza road, reports Daniel Kenu in Kumasi.

At the Manhyia Palace in Kumasi yesterday, a number of people were seen gathered, discussing the death of the chief who was said to be very close to the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II.

Earlier, the Daily Graphic had leant that the Asantehene was going to meet his chiefs and thereafter make a statement on the tragic incident.

However, sources within the Manhyia Palace indicated that Otumfuo met his chiefs but did not make any formal public official statement.

As of the time the Daily Graphic left the Manhyia Palace, many more people were trooping to the palace in anticipation of hearing first-hand information on the death of the chief.


The Daily Graphic gathered from reliable sources that one of the persons arrested was allegedly the last person who met with the chief before his demise.

According to the sources, Oheneba Afodour received a phone call from the suspect on the morning of last Sunday.

The alleged suspect is said to have invited the chief to meet with him at Suame, a suburb of Kumasi, to settle a loan he had secured from him (Oheneba Afodour) after months of failure to repay.

Hours later, his body was found on the back seat of his vehicle by a group of people who were on the way to church.

According to the sources, it appeared the chief was stabbed several times and an attempt was made to set his body on fire.

Family members refused to speak on record, indicating that no one has been mandated to speak on the matter until after police investigation.


In the morning of Monday (August 20, 2019), a number of sympathisers thronged the late chief’s Krofrom palace to mourn with the family in an atmosphere of wailing.


Oheneba Afodour, 46, was also the owner of X5, a pub at Krofrom, a Kumasi suburb.

He was also into transport business and a dealer in lorry tyres.

He was billed to be part of Otumfuo Osei Tutu’s contingent to the USA today on an official visit.