Veteran Nigerian actor, Pete Edochie has reiterated his stance against men getting down on their knees to ask women to marry them.
In a video circulated on social media on Thursday, the 72-year-old actor said: “Any young man who gets on his knees to propose to a girl, is not just an idiot, he’s a bloody fool, a compound buffoon”.
The revered actor said in the video that the act is a replication of foreign culture that translates to the woman taking over the family.
“We are trying to copy white people, right? I believe in the sacrosanctity of our culture, the essence and the core of our culture,” he said.
“The white man kneels down to propose to a girl, you know what it means? The girl takes over the family. This is why whenever you disagree with your wife overseas, you are kicked out and the wife takes the house. As a young man, you should be in charge of your destiny. Kneeling down for a woman makes you a fool”.
Watch the video below;
The Nollywood actor added that he does not believe the practice signifies love or civilisation.
“I have lived with my wife for 51 years, nobody has come to say ‘please stop beating this woman’. Is it hatred that united us?” he asked his interviewer.
The actor joked that men who go on their knees to propose, risk being kicked out of the house by their wives.
“Kneel down before your wife and I’ll sympathise with you when she takes over the home,” he said.
This is not the first time the actor has courted controversy over marriage and relationships.
In January 2020 he said: “A marriage is recognised when a woman offers her future husband wine on her knees, signifying his authority. Therefore, the wife should kneel before her husband and not the other way round.”
Edochie is married to his childhood sweetheart, Josephine and they are blessed with six children. They have been married for more than 51 years.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)