The governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) on Saturday, August 22, 2020, unveiled its manifesto at Cape Coast as part of the campaign for the next general elections.
With a theme, “Protecting our Progress, Transforming Ghana for All,” the manifesto outlines programmes of action in the event that President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo is retained for a second term on December 7, 2020.
Below are President Akufo-Addo’s agenda for education as captured in the manifesto:
– Consolidate implementation of the Free SHS and Free TVET programmes
– All tertiary students (except teacher and nurse trainees receiving allowances) will get the option to obtain a student loan without the requirement of a guarantor, provided he or she has a National ID/GhanaCard, defer repayment to after National Service plus an additional one-year grace period.
– Implement the US$219 million Ghana Accountability for Learning Outcomes Project (GALOP) to improve the quality of education in low performing basic education schools
– Build 16 Model SHS in Zongo communities across the 16 regions
– Increased resources and infrastructure for special needs education across the country
– Expand infrastructure to increase access to professional legal education
– Complete the provision of free Wifi at all senior secondary schools and public tertiary institutions and training colleges.
Below is a summary of the NPP 2020 manifesto