Chief Executive Officer of the Tamale Metropolitan Assembly, Musah Iddrisu Superior, has dismissed calls by some constituency executives of the New Patriotic Party in Tamale, for the president to sack him.
The aggrieved executives said they will today, Thursday, 30 August 2018, petition President Akufo-Addo to sack Mr Superior.
The NPP executives, at a joint press conference on Wednesday, 29 August 2018, accused the mayor of disrespecting and disregarding party structures, among others.
According to the statement read by Tamale South Constituency Secretary, Yussif Danjuma, the mayor is running a parallel administration without recourse to the party’s structures within the metropolis.
They also accused him of awarding contracts to himself and his cronies, among others.
Reacting to this development, Mr Superior, in a Facebook post, said the allegations levelled against him are false, adding: “I dismiss them with the contempt they deserve”.
Below is the full post
My response to allegations made by Some NPP Executives in the Tamale Metro.
The various allegations levelled against me by some Constituency Executives of the Tamale South and Central constituencies at their Press Conference this morning is TOTALLY FALSE. I dismiss them with the contempt they deserve.
1. The allegations that, I fail to award contracts to the Constituency Executives is unfortunate. I have always in my line of work done what is right and lawful. Let me state categorically that, all contracts that have been awarded by the Tamale Metropolitan Assembly went through the laid down procurement processes and procedures. They are not done unilaterally by me or anyone. Ghana is governed by set of laws and all contracts are awarded via proper procurement processes. See the Public Procurement Act 2003 (663).
2. On allegations that, I do not consult the Party leadership in the Metro before taking decisions in my role in the Assembly’s mandate; I demand further and better details on this allegation. Decisions relating to the governance of the Metropolis usually take place collectively as a house during which Elected Members and Government Appointees participate effectively in all discussions to either develop a policy, enact bye-laws. All MAJOR decisions of the Metropolitan Assembly are taken by the Executive Authority or the General House.
2. Where Chiefs, imams, the clergy and other opinion leaders and political actors are expected to make an input on a decision, we create the platform for an open, deeper and wider consultative framework for such crucial interventions.
3. On the allegation that, I port resources of the Tamale Metro Assembly to The Mion District Assembly because of my “Parliamentary ambition” in the Mion Constituency is not only weird but strange. How on earth will the Elected Assembly persons of the Tamale Metro Assembly sit down for this to happen? Such an outrageous allegation can only come from persons who have little understanding of how MMDAs operate.
4. I remain focus on my mandate as the Metropolitan Chief Executive; leading and serving the people in the most honest, transparent and participatory manner and delivering on the vision of the NPP Government on education, health delivery and making the society fit for purpose.
5. I will not be distracted by such empty allegations and sponsored attack.
6. Thank you.