Birmingham stabbings: Man arrested over city attacks


A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after one person died and seven others were injured in stabbings across Birmingham.

A 27-year-old man was arrested at an address in the Selly Oak area of the city at about 04:00 BST, West Midlands Police said.

Police said he was also being held over seven counts of attempted murder.

The attacks happened at four different locations across the city centre over 90 minutes early on Sunday.

Police said the suspect was being questioned in custody.

Media captionNikita Denton told the BBC how she helped a victim

Police were first called to the attacks just after 00:30 BST on Sunday at Constitution Hill, where a man sustained a superficial injury.

Some 20 minutes later they were called to Livery Street, near to Snow Hill railway station, where a 19-year-old man was critically injured and a woman was also hurt.

At 01:50 BST, police were sent to Irving Street, where a 23-year-old man suffered fatal injuries and another was seriously injured.

At 02:00 BST they were called to Hurst Street, in the city’s Gay Village, where a 32-year-old woman was critically injured and two men suffered lesser injuries.

The force said it was treating it at this stage as a “random” attack.

Ch Supt Steve Graham said: “Officers worked through yesterday and into the early hours of this morning in a bid to trace the man we believe responsible for these terrible crimes.

A map of the incident area

“We issued CCTV footage of the suspect and had a strong response from the public. I’d like to thank everyone who shared our appeal and who provided information to the investigation.

“Clearly this is a crucial development but our investigation continues.”

A hotline number and website have been set up for members of the public to provide information.

The streets involved remained closed on Monday morning while investigations continued.

A police cordon in Hurst Street, BirminghamImage copyright@SHAUNINBRUM
Image captionPolice set up a cordon in Hurst Street following the attack, and streets remained closed on Monday

Questions have been raised about how the suspect was able to move around the city for 90 minutes.

Birmingham MP Shabana Mahmood said she “shares the same concerns as everybody else”, but the priority was supporting the police with its investigation.

She said: “There will be a more appropriate stage to have a more forensic sort of detail about the way that the incident unfolded, and also the police response, and I will certainly be asking those questions as well.

“But for now I’m encouraged that there has been a strong response; the police have described a strong response to their CCTV footage appeal.”


“It’s very easy to comment on a police investigation while it’s live. I don’t intend to fall into that trap,” he said.

“[There are] lots of questions as to what happened during that two-hour period, but there’s people making lots of assumptions from things that they quite frankly don’t know.”

He also said the incident “does not define Birmingham”.

“We have to see it as a one-off random [incident], and what will define the city is our response to it now,” he said.

Media captionVideo posted on social media shows a number of emergency service vehicles at the scene

Leave a Reply