AKUFO-ADDO: A CAPITALIST WITH A HUMANISTIC HEART AND MINDSET
Though an unrepentant capitalist, most of the policy proposals and implementations have centered around alleviating the plight of the masses. He has the welfare and well-being of his people at heart and would stop at nothing to make sure that social intervention policies with enormous benefits to the people are rolled out.
No leader before him has implemented bold and audacious ideas for the benefit of the Ghanaian populace than he has done. His Free S.H.S programme trounces any social intervention policy rolled out by any leader preceding him.
Let me zero in on the ingredients which subsumed the 2020 Mid-year Budget Review read on behalf of President Akufo-Addo by the Honourable Minister for Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta.
In the budget, quite a sizable number of appetizing policies have been introduced to meliorate the adverse effects of the deadly coronavirus pandemic. They include the following;
● GHc100 billion Coronavirus Alleviation and Revitalization of Enterprises Support (CARES) with GHc1.2 billion accessible immediately.
● GHc7 billion for loan restructurings, interest rate reductions, granting of new facilities and moratorium on debt servicing.
● GHc150 million to help more industries including GHC50 million for the Creative Arts Industry and Media.
● GHc2 billion Guarantee Scheme for Businesses to borrow from banks at affordable rates.
● Free water for three more months.
● Reduction in Communication Service Tax from 9% to 5%.
● Free electricity for three more months.
● National Unemployment Insurance Scheme which is a temporary income to laid-off workers.
These practical and pragmatic policies are human centered and seek to shield Ghanaians from the negative impacts of COVID-19 on the good people of Ghana.
Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo is a bold father who embraces motherly instincts and allows same to positively affect his way of thinking. Ghanaians couldn’t have asked for a better leader than Akufo-Addo.
Indeed, he is unregenerated capitalist with socialist ideals and principles. The next generation of Ghanaians will remember him for being such a visionary leader and a great soul.
P.K.Sarpong, Whispers from the Corridors of the Thinking Place.