The Acting General Secretary of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP), John Boadu, has rebuked the Electoral Commission for deleting names of persons who registered with the National Health Insurance Scheme cards as proof of citizenship without first publishing the list.
John Boadu argued that, the process may create uncertainties going into the polls.
“We would have thought that before the Electoral Commission goes ahead in deleting the names of the 56,172, they would have published the names first for people…but all that we heard was that they’ve already deleted the names,” he said on Eyewitness News.
“So as we speak now, all the over 14 million people on the register are suspects, unless you are very sure that you did not register with an NHIS card. And the way it was done, you can’t also be sure because there are reports of people who registered with some other cards but their names were included so it’s made things very difficult and the fear that people are having is very real.”
The EC was ordered by the Supreme Court on May 5 2016, to delete the 56,000 names on the register and also give them the opportunity to re-register if they are able to proof their citizenship.
The commission however announced on Tuesday that it has complied with the ruling and will publish the names of the affected persons in the national dailies as well as district electoral offices.
It also said it will begin the re-registration process on Monday, July 18, 2016. But John Boadu believes such an action by the EC was not entirely fair to the electorate.
“One thing to be recognized is that the deletion of the names was done at the main data base, the provisional register had already been printed. What the Electoral Commission is telling us is that, they will mark those names with red marks. So if you check at the polling station and your name has been marked with red mark, it means that you have been deleted,” he added.
Despite his concerns, Mr. Boadu said the NPP largely understands the approach the Commission has had to adopt due to the time constraints, and expressed optimism that the election would be conducted smoothly.
- See more at: http://citifmonline.com/2016/07/14/ec-shouldve-published-nhis-list-before-deleting-john-boadu/#sthash.D41CMVE1.dpuf