Hajj 2018: No pilgrim left behind – Sheikh I.C Quaye
The Chairman of the Hajj Board Sheikh I.C Quaye says he is confident no pilgrim has been left at home after making payment for the journey, between the March 13 and June 30 deadline announced.
The departure plan which included ten flights from Tamale and twelve from Accra had a total of five thousand five hundred Muslims travelling to the Holy City of Mecca to participate in the annual ritual.
Outlining measures and policies put together by the board to improve travelling conditions this year, Sheikh I.C Quaye said peacekeeping security men and women have been tasked to accompany this year’s pilgrims to Mecca, with accommodation and feeding arrangement handled weeks before the departure.
“Last year the board experienced a peculiar challenge with accommodation. Since the hotels were scattered, there was a challenge with communication, mobilization and rendering of services. But this year 13 hotels have been rented all in the same locality
Pilgrims will also be fed twice daily throughout their stay in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia as mandated by the Saudi authorities. Although pilgrims have undergone health screening by the medical team of the Pilgrim’s Affairs Office Of Ghana, a second screening exercise will be undertaken on their arrival because of that eight clinics have been established in Mecca and five in Mina and Arafat to serve the pilgrims.”
The board chair also lauded the contribution of President Akufo-Addo and Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia to the success chalked by the committee.
“The huge financial and moral support and cooperation accorded the hajj board by the executives, in particular, President Akufo-Addo and his Vice Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, with the co-operation of the Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta cannot be overlooked. The president’s unconditional readiness to facilitate the pilgrimage of 432 leftover pilgrims in 2016 by the previous board, in particular, won the admiration of all and sundry.”
While Tamale lifted 2,640 pilgrims, Accra lifted 3,096.
The 2018 Hajj officially begins from Sunday, August 19 to Friday, August 24, with three million Muslims expected to gather in the Holy City of Makkah, Saudi Arabia.