Anas video: Nyantakyi apologizes to Akufo-Addo
The embattled President of the Ghana Football Association(GFA) Kwesi Nyantakyi has apologized unreservedly to President Akufo-Addo after he used his name dishonestly to extort monies from potential investors.
He was caught in a secret filming by ace investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas in an act of influence peddling to take bribe of $65,000 from supposed investors.
The FIFA Executive Council member who resigned from his position as GFA Boss on Friday, has been charged with fraud by the police. FIFA on Friday announced a 90-day ban on Mr Nyantakyi from all football-related activities following the premiering of the investigative piece.
In the secret recording, Kwesi Nyantakyi stated that President Akufo-Addo is open to pocketing a $5 million bribe, claiming Akufo-Addo sold most of his property to finance the 2016 election and as such was broke.
Nyantakyi said he had been reliably informed by Anthony Karbo, the deputy roads and highways minister, that given Akufo-Addo’s dire financial situation, he would greatly appreciate a $5 million dollar “gift” and in turn approve lucrative contracts for Nyantakyi and his team.
In a statement, Kwesi Nyantakyi whose use of President Akufo-Addo’s name has angered several Ghanaians has said he regrets his action saying that he had no prior discussion with neither the President, his Vice nor any senior government official before his deliberation as captured in the video.
“I hereby apologise unreservedly to the father of the Nation, H.E. Nana Akufo Addo, H.E. the Vice President, Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia, Hon. Ministers and Deputy Ministers of State for indiscretion in associating them with the private conversations on the video.”
“I wish to clarify that at no time prior to or subsequent to any deliberations on the video did I consult, contact or inform any Government official about discussions on the video. I take sole and personal responsibility for the proceedings on the video.”
“I wish to apologise to my family, work colleagues, friends, associates and the people of Ghana for the disappointment myindiscretion has caused them. This is by no means an admission of wrongdoing for issues on the video”, Mr. Nyantakyi said in a statement sent to the GFA General Secretary on Friday.